THE ARTS COLONY | Standard Show Guidelines | Revised May 2016
Unless otherwise specifically notated in a Call for Art, the follow show guidelines apply.
A. Eligibility of Art and Artists:
1. TAC shows are Open, Juried, and Judged (See FAQ’s for more information). All entries must be submitted on deadline stated on the Call for Art. Entries not juried into the show must be picked up by a designated time specified during submission.
2. Works entered must have been completed within the last ten years (unless noted in call for art) and the piece MAY NOT have been awarded a top prize in a previous TAC Show (i.e. Best In Show, 1st Place - Overall, 2nd Place - Overall, 3rd Place - Overall).
3. All work must be original, no reproductions or giclees, no class or workshop work. Limit of three entries per artist.
4. There may be two categories of entrants: Artist and Student. A Student is 21 years or younger or currently attending school full-time. Based on entries, Artists and Students may be judged separately. If there are more than 5 entries per media group, those entries will be judged according to their category in addition to being considered for overall show awards.
The current specific media groups are: Acrylic Painting, Oil Painting, Watercolor, Drawing (Pen, Pencil, Charcoal, Pastels), Standard Photography, Enhanced Photography, Digital Art, Mixed Media & Fiber, Printmaking, Three Dimensional (Glass, Ceramics, Sculpture, Jewelry, Woodwork). Drawing and Three Dimensional works may also be broken into separate categories as applicable. The goal behind recognizing categories is to allow the artist to be recognized for their skill and professionalism in their media interest.
B. Awards (Awards have recently changed as of December 2015 and are currently on a trial basis):
1. Cash awards will be given for artist entries only as follows: $200 for Best in Show, $150 First Place (Overall), $100 Second Place (Overall), $50 Third Place (Overall), $100 for Best in Theme (Themed Shows Only), $30 for First Place in each qualifying category.
2. Non-monetary award ribbons will be given for 2nd, and 3rd, for all qualifying categories and theme. Special Awards and Honorable Mention Ribbons may also be awarded based on merit.
C. Entry Fees (non-refundable):
1. TAC Members: $15 for first piece, $10 for second piece, and $5 for third piece, fourth piece FREE.
2. Students: $5 each entry, fourth piece FREE.
3. Non-Members: $20 for first piece, $15 for second piece, and $10 for third piece, no fourth option.
1. Although The Arts Colony makes every effort to protect all art that is brought to our facilities; its officers, directors, agents, or representatives assume no responsibility for damages, theft or loss to entries in this show. All entries received are subject to these conditions. Insurance is the responsibility of each artist.
E. Artwork Specifications:
1. All work must be dry (not tacky to touch) and, if framed, be properly secured within the frame. We strongly suggest the use of D-rings and hanging wire. D-Rings should be placed between 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from the top of the frame to avoid tilting while hanging. Saw-tooth hangers do not work with our hanging system and will not be accepted. String, fishing line, electrical wire will also not be accepted. Artwork not properly secured for hanging will not be accepted.
We recommend viewing the videos below to understand how to better prepare and secure your artwork for hanging.
2 Diptychs and triptychs will be considered more than one entry but will be juried and judged as one work.
3. Artist's name, phone number, title of work and asking price must be on the back of each entry.
4. Placement and removal of any 3-dimensional piece exceeding 50 lbs. is artist's responsibility.
5. Three-dimensional stand-alone pieces of excessive size should be approved by the show chairperson prior to entry to avoid being juried out unnecessarily due to space limitations.
6. The Show chairperson will make the final determination regarding entry qualification and may only be overruled by a unanimous vote of the TAC board.
7. Paintings, photos, graphics, computer generated works and mixed media may be covered with glass , however Plexiglas is suggested on larger pieces – with the exception of pastels and charcoal. The TAC hanging system is currently equipped to handle works up to 40 lbs. Works of excessive weight may be placed on an alternate display system.
8. Gallery-wrapped ends must be finished.
9. Maximum size allowed is 42" wide by 60” tall, including frame. Pieces larger than 42" wide by 60" tall may be juried in at the Show Committee's discretion, and will be counted as and charged as two-pieces.
10. All work must be suitable for general audiences. Figure studies are usually appropriate, however overtly sexual, pornographic, or otherwise controversial artwork, although art, may be juried out of a show out of consideration for the general public. We believe there may very well be a forum for the above mentioned work, but TAC is not currently that forum. If you have any questions prior to submitting a work, please contact the show chairperson. Any further questions should be directed to the TAC board.
F. Typical Schedule of Shows:
1. Receiving: Approximately 2 weeks prior to show reception.
2. Judging: Approximately one week prior to reception.
3. Opening: Friday prior to reception.
4. Reception & Awards: To be specified on Call for Art.
5. Show Close: 4-6 weeks following reception.
6. End of Show Pick-ups: Approximately 4-6 weeks following reception, typically during take-in for next show. Note: All work must be picked up within two weeks of show close or it becomes the property of TAC. Please make arrangements accordingly. All work forfeited will be entered into an opportunity drawing at the next reception. No work may be withdrawn before the close of the show without permission from the show chair.
1. TAC retains a 20% commission on the sale of artwork. Artwork is also offered at 10% off the listed price on the day of the show reception. With the reduction in price, TAC will only receive a 10% commission for sales that take place at the reception.